What Kinds of Compensation Can I Recover for an Injury from a Car Accident?

Home » What Kinds of Compensation Can I Recover for an Injury from a Car Accident?

What Kinds of Compensation Can I Recover for an Injury from a Car Accident?

by | Jun 11, 2019 | Accidents, Auto Accidents, Insurance, Personal Injury

When you are involved in a car accident that leaves you injured, your personal injury protection (PIP) is the first source of funds that will cover your medical expenses. Unfortunately, Florida only requires drivers to have a minimum PIP of $10,000, which is often insufficient to cover many car accident victims’ injuries.

However, if the costs of your injuries exceed the amount of your PIP coverage and your injuries meet the severity requirements under Florida law, you can file a claim against and even sue the at-fault driver for compensation.

Economic Losses

The economic losses that you sustain as a result of your injuries from a car accident are the basis of any claim or lawsuit that you bring against another party. You can only claim compensation from the other party when the costs associated with your injuries exceed your PIP. Here’s a closer look at the types of economic losses you can collect compensation for:

Current and Future Medical Costs – Recovering from injuries that result from a car accident are expensive. From ambulance services and hospital stays to surgery and long-term care, the amount of care required for a full recovery depends on a case by case basis.

Rehabilitation – Some injuries require services like physical therapy in order to fully recover. You can seek compensation for these services, as well as for any required equipment.

Lost Earning Capacity – Many victims of car accidents cannot return to work because of their injuries. In such cases, you can claim lost earning capacity.

Lost Wages – Even if you are able to return to work, you probably missed some time because of the accident and during the time that you were recovering.

Non-Economic Losses

You can also seek compensation for non-economic losses that result from your car accident. Proving these types of losses is more complicated than proving economic losses, so it is advised that you seek the advice of a qualified attorney. Here are three types of non-economic losses for which you can seek compensation.

Pain and Suffering – Victims can claim compensation for the physical pain and psychological damage that they experience because of their car accident. Disability can lead to other issues, such as depression and anxiety, that have consequences for daily life.

Disfigurement – Victims whose injuries are so severe that they result in permanent scarring or disfigurement can seek damages for the emotional, physical, and psychological toll that they take.

Loss of Consortium – If you are married and you are in a car accident that results in injury, you can also seek compensation for loss of consortium. This type of loss refers to the decrease in intimacy, whether physical or emotional, that can occur because of injury.

Talk to a Personal Injury Attorney Today

If you are in a car accident and your own insurance coverage does not completely cover your injuries, get in touch with the experts at Pacin Levine Attorneys at Law. We will help you recover the compensation that you deserve so that you can get through one of the most difficult times in your life. Talk to us today to learn how we can help.

Related Posts

Contact Pacin Levine