Boom! You just got into a car accident in Miami. How could your day get any worse? It can, if you do not take the right steps following the crash. Our Miami Car Accident Lawyers are here to help if you are injured or denied insurance coverage.
- Move your vehicle: Florida law requires you to move your vehicle to a safe place so that you are not obstructing traffic, unless you are unable to do so. You also should move out of the road to ensure your own personal safety.
- Call Police and/or Fire Rescue: If anyone is injured, then immediately call 911 to ensure emergency medical personnel are informed of the injuries and location of the car accident in Miami. Stay on scene until help arrives. If no one is injured, then call the local non-emergency phone number so that someone can investigate the accident and prepare a report.
- Stay on scene: Unless you need to be transported to the hospital due to significant injuries, it’s important that you stay on scene to meet with law enforcement. Leaving the scene after a car accident in Miami could result in additional penalties and potentially criminal consequences.
- Investigate the accident scene: Pictures, videos, and witness statements can be crucial to your case. Be sure to note any traffic cameras that may have recorded the car accident. If there are witnesses on scene, then obtain their contact information. Be sure to take lots of pictures of your vehicle, the other vehicles, and the accident scene.
- Do not admit fault: It is important that you never admit fault at the accident scene. Do not tell the officer, witnesses, or the other drive(s) that you are sorry for what happened. Admitting fault at the accident scene could ultimately impact your case as those statements could be admissible in Court. Just because you think you may have caused the accident, does not mean you are responsible. Florida is a comparative fault jurisdiction, which means fault can be apportioned on a percentage basis. To learn more about comparative fault in Miami car accident cases, visit our blog on “What is Pure Comparative Negligence, and what does it mean for me?”
- Call your insurance company and notify them of the accident: Failure to notify your insurance company timely of the car accident could result in a denial of the claim. You have a duty to notify your insurance company and comply with their requests for statements. You can find your insurance company on the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation website
- Seek medical treatment timely: Florida law provides that you must seek medical treatment within 14 days of a car accident, otherwise, you would not be entitled you use your PIP benefits. Often this is referred to as the “14 day rule”. Visit Navigating the “14 Day Rule” under the Florida No Fault Law to learn more about your PIP benefits. Failing to obtain necessary medical treatment can result in a loss of benefits and negatively impact your claim. Often, Miami car accident victims do not feel the pain of a car accident immediately. However, once that pain sets in it is important you do not wait and lose valuable benefits. Often our clients ask for advice in choosing a doctor. We are happy to provide some recommendations.
- Call, text, or message a car accident attorney: At Pacin Levine, P.A., we are Miami Car Accident Attorneys you can call now, 1-800-247-2727, text us at 305-760-9085, or message us right now by clicking on the live chat button. We are ready to go to work on your Miami Car Accident case today! We will help you to preserve evidence, filing an insurance claim, and negotiating a settlement. Sometimes cases cannot be settled. If so, our team is not afraid to file a lawsuit and try cases.
It you were in a car accident in Miami, rest assured, there are Attorneys like us that want to help. At Pacin Levine, P.A., we have bi-lingual staff and Attorneys. We do not charge for the call. We have people on staff early in the morning and late at night. If we do not recover for you, then we will not charge you any fees or costs. The Founders of Pacin Levine, P.A. opened the Firm to help Miami car accident victims after having represented the insurance companies. Now, that knowledge is used to help Miami car accident victims recover money for their injures. Contact us today so we can help you! We have offices in Miami-Dade and Broward. And available for consultations at our Orlando.